Sign Up to Receive Exclusive Email Offers:

4 Reasons This Needs to Be Your Next Crochet Project

I finished my first afghan!

Finished Rainbow Set Afghan

And I LOVED it! I am already thinking of when I can make it again and I highly recommend this for your next crochet project.

I know I’m writing a blog for the company that publishes this pattern. But read this whole post and then see what you think about it.
This Baby Afghan pattern from the Rainbow Set is immensely popular. However, we have always been puzzled by what makes this 70’s pattern sell like crazy.

So, I made it, and now I understand. So now I have—with confidence—4 reasons on why it’s worth your time and yarn.

• 1. Because You Love Crochet

You know that feeling you get when you finally have time to sit down and crochet. You’ve just poured yourself a hot cup of your favorite tea (or coffee) and there is nothing else that needs to be worried about right now. Absolute heaven. You love crochet.

I remember seeing an e-card saying, “If I wanted a sweater that fits, I would have bought it”. It’s silly, but so true! We enjoy our craft so much that it isn’t the end result that is alluring, it’s the process. This pattern has everything: Simple DC, complicated DC, Granny Squares, HDC, SC, slip knots… everything that makes crochet wonderful.

2. Because The Yarn: If you love crochet. Then you probably love yarn, too. You appreciate when yarn is put to good use (which is why some crafters don't like yarn-bombing). This pattern is simple, but beautiful. There are so many different color combinations that would look just stunning in this afghan (see for yourself on Ravelry)! The ripples in the pattern show off every color. You can use that yarn that you love but don’t want to waste it on a project that won’t do it justice.

3. Because You Need a Gift… or will eventually: Since this is a baby afghan, its likely purpose would be as a gift.—Unless you end up keeping it, no judgment here!—It’s something that could turn into a child’s blanket-of-choice, or special “blankie”.
            It’s also great if you have specific colors in mind. If, for example, you are making it for a baby shower and want to match the “theme” of the baby’s room, this is perfect! They are so nice to make, why not make several for future gifts? From what I hear, this is the kind of pattern that you make several times. We all have those projects lingering around the house. The right gifting opportunity just hasn’t presented itself yet.

4. Because of the Creative Release:
Last weekend I wrote about creativity. It’s so great to have an opportunity to find and use your creative ideas! This pattern is a great opportunity because there are so many options! How ever will you decide? (check it out).

Thanks for reading! If you have made this pattern I would love to see it! Post it on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media site with the hash tag #LeisureLife.
Stay Crafty!

-Marie

16 thoughts on “4 Reasons This Needs to Be Your Next Crochet Project”

• Sherry

I love this afghan. I think I may have posted before how I made one for my son in the colors suggested in the pamplet and it turned out beautiful. However, I gave the pattern away (which I regret). I love how you have modernized it and the colors you have chosen. Just Beautiful.

• Marie Lindahl

Thank you Sherry! I love how this one turned out! I think next time I'm going to try the suggested colors because (from what I see in pictures) they really look stunning.

• Bailey

Beautiful project. I have to find this one.

• Marie Lindahl

Thanks Bailey! You can download it here: http://www.leisurearts.com/products/rainbow-crochet-pattern-afghan-jacket-and-bootie-set-epattern.html Or find it on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocheted-rainbow-set-blanket-jacket-and-booties

• Barbara

This lovely pattern beat me out at the fair one year. Couldn't rest until I found the booklet but haven't made it yet.

• Marie345

I made this blanket last year, but I am stuck at the part of putting together the granny squares and attaching to them. I would love to finish this and share my photo. Can someone help me figure out how to put these together? Thanks so much

• Marie Lindahl

Hi Marie345! You could try watching this video on whip stitching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHR1ew9zjvI The only thing is it shoes both loops and the pattern calls for back loops only. Hope this helps!-We have the same name! Do people often tell you that it's their middle name? I get that ALL the time. And people sing "how do you solve a problem like Maria..." from Sound of Music (even thought my name isn't Maria)

• Marie345

Hi Marie... haha.. it is my middle name. I will watch the video. Thank you.. It's been sitting and sitting and I want to finish it. Thank you. :)

• Journeyhawk

I have made this pattern at least three times. I have made two large ones where I have reversed the stitch pattern. It gives an interesting effect! I also left off the granny squares in the corners. For one thing, the repetition of them drove me nuts! For another thing, I love the finished effect of the corners without them.I belong to a crochet group online and have recommended this pattern many times to people! To see the afghans I have finished for this pattern, here is my Ravelry Projects page. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Journeyhawk

• Marie345

Hi Journeyhawk,. You do lovely work. I just looked at the three. They look good without the granny square edging. I agree. They do work up pretty fast. I really love the pattern. I'm going to try and do the granny squares for this one I have almost done, but the color combinations are endless for the next ones. Thanks again. :)

• Linda ONeill

I would love to make this pattern to fit a queen size bed. Anyone have the pattern and or know how to enlarge this properly. I am not an expert crocheted, but can follow a pattern.

• Diane Redington

I have made this bed queensized, I just sort of doubled the colour patterning in the bands (dark to light, light to dark) before doing the black again, and then put in an extra direction change. You can see what I did on my Ravelry account, CanterburyCrafters.

• bethintx1

I made this and it is the perfect size for a lap blanket. It is a great project for charity. Hospice, children's hospitals, the VA hospital and nursing homes always can use lap blankets.

• 96caec9a-1fd0-11e4-af66-dfa624ad9972

I have made this pattern more than a dozen times over the years. One change I recently made was to not use the granny squares to fill in the corners, but used the pattern stitches that filled in the ripples to make the sides flat. Worked pretty well for me. Don't have any pictures, all the afghans were given away.

• Janet Ford

I made this blanket the first time when the book came out back many years ago. Since then I've made it many times. When I wanted to make it as an adult blanket I just exchanged worsted weight and a larger hook (H or I). It came out to about 72 in by 72 in. and was a perfect size. As for the corners the way I did them my husband called them Janet's Hi-tech corners. I hate sewing crochet together so I crocheted the squares together and did a kind of weave where the squares joined. They came out perfectly also. This pattern will be used many times more in the future both for small blankets and large blankets.

• Antonette Jayne

Janet ford what is the name of the book that had this pattern in it? I would really love the book!!!! If anybody knows where I can get the book that has this pattern in it. What's the name of the book?
    Thankyou