For some reason, this was a struggle. The pattern itself is fine, and I'm usually a sucker for anything with granny squares. But there is so much seaming! So much weaving in ends!
So many modifications that I just felt were necessary for me to finish! By the time I finished I was just changing things up just because.
|Single crochet strips five stitches across and placed too closely to the center? Not part of the pattern!|
In the beginning, I made the squares. I was quite faithful to the pattern. Actually, no. Never mind that. I mixed up the colors. And on a few of the squares I worked double crochet rows when I was supposed to work half double crochet rows. That wasn't so much an modification as a dumb mistake. It's fine. I don't think the difference shows too badly.
But then I had to arrange the squares and sew them together. I don't like sewing. But I did it.
Then I was supposed to crochet three panels to connect the two sides. Three. Separate. Panels. Two of which involved stripes. I don't know why it seemed like this was too much for me to handle, but it did. Also, I somehow made the stripey panel look utterly, sickeningly, bad.
So once decided that crocheting one big panel that would run around all three sides of my granny squares, everything seemed much more fun. So that's what I did!
|And I crocheted it on because it felt like the sturdier option. Fine. I just didn't want to seam this.|
And when I realized I wouldn't have enough brown yarn left to work the rows around the top of the bag, working three little rows of stripes seemed like fun!
Also, I didn't have straps for the handles, so crocheting them seemed fine. I don't know what happened! I mean, this is a great pattern but I had a lot more fun once I started ignoring it. Some projects are like that, I guess. But! This pattern is a fantastic jumping point.
And this bag is super cute.
And so is my husband, who graciously modeled the bag for me.