Digital Download FAQ
What do I need to read a digital download?Leisure Arts digital downloads are created as PDFs (Portable Document Format). All you need to read them is a device with a PDF reader. You can read our digital downloads on a variety of devices:
- Desktop and laptop computers (Mac or PC)
- Kindle Fire
- Nook Color and Nook Tablet (may require installing an additional PDF reader)
- Most other tablets, including 10" tablets from Samsung, Coby, Motorola, and Asus
If your device doesn't have a PDF reader, you can download one here http://get.adobe.com/reader/ .
Because our products usually include instructional photos and illustrations, we recommend reading them on devices with full-color screens that are 10" or larger.
Downloading to Specific eReaders and Tablets
Downloading a digital download directlyYou can purchase a digital download directly from Leisurearts.com on your iPad.
- After you’ve completed checkout, click the link to “download now.”
- Click the product title; once it’s downloaded, you’ll see the cover on your screen.
- There will be two buttons at the top right: “Open in iBooks” and “Open In...”. If the buttons go away, clicking the cover image will bring them back.
- “Open in iBooks” will automatically save the digital download to your library and open it in iBooks.
- “Open in...” will allow you to select another program (such as Adobe Reader) to open it. If you choose this option, remember to email it to yourself or save it manually.
Transferring a digital download from your computer to your iPadFollow these steps to move digital downloads that you bought on your computer to your iPad.
- Open iTunes.
- In your top menu, click “File” > “Add to Library”
- Navigate to the folder where your digital download is stored, click it, and click “Open.”
- Plug your iPad into your computer and let it sync. The digital download will appear on your iBooks shelf.
- If you’re comfortable drag-and-dropping files, you can drag your digital download directly into iTunes, hover it over the “Books” tab, and it will import automatically.
Kindle FireAlthough the Fire doesn’t currently download our digital downloads directly, you can purchase the digital download on your computer and transfer it your Fire. If you’re comfortable drag-and-dropping files, simply plug in your Kindle, open it in My Computer (PC) or Finder (Mac), and drag the digital download into it. If not, here’s how to copy and paste it.
- Find the digital download on your computer that you want to transfer to your computer. Right-click and select “Copy.”
- Plug your Kindle into your computer using your USB cord.
- Open your Kindle’s files on your computer by opening My Computer (PC) or Finder (Mac) and opening the Kindle.
- Open the “Documents” folder on your Kindle.
- Right-click to copy into your “Documents” folder. Note: the Fire opens our digital downloads as documents instead of books.
- In your Kindle, you’ll find the digital download in Docs.
Nook ColorIn order to read our digital downloads on your Nook Color, you’ll need to use a PDF reader such as Quickoffice Lite, rather than Nook’s Reader program. The transfer process is similar to the process for the Fire, described above.
- Find the digital download that you want to transfer on your computer, right-click it and click “Copy.”
- Plug in your Nook and find it in My Computer (PC) or Finder (Mac).
- Open the Nook and open “My Files.”
- Open “Books” and right-click to paste your digital download into this folder.
- On your Nook, you’ll find the book/pattern in Library > Books.
- When you open the digital download it will prompt you to select a program to read it with. Reader does not recognize our digital downloads, so please use another program such as Quickoffice Lite.